FALMOUTH RECYCLING COMMITTEE
FALMOUTH PUBLIC WORKS
Wednesday, June 10, 2009 4:00 PM
Call to Order Committee members present and answering roll call:
Sally Bitan, Steve Hendry, John Henson, Bill McMahon
Non-Committee members present:
Jay Reynolds, Bonny Rodden, Missi Labbe (ecoMaine)
Item 1 Approval of Last Meeting's Minutes -- All
- The minutes from the May 13, 2009 meeting were accepted.
Item 2 Corrugated Cardboard -- Jay/Bonny
- Kevin Roche of ecoMaine sent a letter to Nathan Poore requesting that the Town consider ending its special agreement for selling corrugated cardboard to ecoMaine. It the Town discontinues this arrangement, all corrugated cardboard would be commingled in silver bullets and would no longer be collected separately at the transfer station.
- Other towns have similar grandfathered programs that include selling some recyclables to ecoMaine.
- The committee voted to recommend that the Town continue the sale of corrugated cardboard to ecoMaine, but to use this in negotiating with ecoMaine on regionalizing the cost of hauling silver bullets. In turn, in the same spirit of regionalization, the Town would agree to include corrugated cardboard with recyclables and no longer sell the cardboard to ecoMaine.
- Bill McMahon will draft a recommendation and forward to the committee for review.
Item 3 Transfer Station Fees -- Jay
- Steve reviewed a revised fee structure for the transfer station. Several options consisting of different combinations of sticker fees and item fees were considered.
- The goal is to keep the solution logistically simple and minimize cash transactions at the transfer station.
- The current proposal from Jay and Nathan consist of $5 town stickers, and $5 tickets for disposal of items. All items would be priced in even multiples of $5.00. Some discussion took place.
Item 4 ecoMaine -- Missi Labbe (Program Development Coordinator at ecoMaine)
- Missi Labbe of ecoMaine attended the meeting and gave a very thorough presentation to the committee on recycling businesses. Missi's presentation educated the committee on ecoMaine's approach to getting businesses to recycle. Missi also walked through the presentation she would give to a prosepective business.
- Missi mentioned that it is a state law that businesses recycle some of their solid waste.
- Many thoughts were generated on how recycling can benefit a business' image and bottom line.
- The presentation ran until the end of the meeting.
Item 5 Topics for Next Meeting
- How to get invloved with recycling at businesses in Falmouth.
Item 6 Next Meeting Date
- The next meeting was not chosen, as the meeting ran long.
Item 7 Adjournment
- The meeting was adjourned after 6:00 PM.
Secretary, Falmouth Recycling Committee.