FALMOUTH RECYCLING COMMITTEE
FALMOUTH PUBLIC WORKS
Wednesday, May 13, 2009
Call to Order Committee members present and answering roll call:
Kelly Fernald, Steve Hendry, John Henson
Non-Committee Members present:
Jay Reynolds, Bonny Rodden
Item 1 Approval of Last Meeting's Minutes--All
- The minutes from the April 14, 2009 meeting were accepted.
Item 2 Corrugated Cardboard--Jay
- The Town sells the corrugated cardboard collected at the transfer station to ecoMaine. This has brought in an average of $1,500/year.
- Recently, while markets for recyclables have been low, the Town was invoiced $150 for one load and $30 for another. The markets have turned around and should begin to generate revenue again.
- The committee decided to table voting on this item until the June meeting.
Item 3 FHS Environmental Action Committee--Bonny
- Some members of the EAC and Bonny met with the high school principal to propose the plan to make the high school cafeteria greener. The proposal was well received and some suggestions were made as to how best to move forward.
- The EAC presented the proposal at the Community Forum to about 20 people. Many good suggestions were received.
- Silverware is needed for the cafeteria. Rather than the EAC buying the silverware, the committee would like to take on finding a business (or private) donor. Please bring to the next meeting ideas for businesses or grants that might help out.
- Is Cool Cities working with the school department?
Item 4 Recruiting--Steve
- The committee has two vacancies.
- Channels for recruiting for new members:
- Channel 2--send a Powerpoint slide to Mike McDade
- Website bulletins/main page
- Current committee members
Item 5 Website--Steve
- It would be helpful to add links to websites of interest to people looking for information on recycling, composting, solid waste.
- Committee members should bring their favorite website suggestions to the June meeting.
Item 6 ecoMaine--Bonny
- ecoMaine will host a meeting of the Recycling Committee chairs from member towns. Details coming in future months.
Item 7 Topics for Next Meeting
- Missi Labbe from ecoMaine will join us at the next meeting. Please bring questions for Missi.
- Helpful website ideas. We may be able to view these at the meeting.
- Who will be attending the town dinner June 17
- Who will be attending the ecoMaine presentation June 17
Item 8 Next Meeting Date
- The next meeting will be Wednesday, June 10, 2009 at 4:00 PM at Parks & Public Works.
Item 9 Adjournment
- The meeting was adjourned at 5:03 PM.
Secretary, Falmouth Recycling Committee