FALMOUTH RECYCLING COMMITTEE
FALMOUTH PUBLIC WORKS
Wednesday, March 11, 2009 4:00 PM
Call to Order Committee members present and answering roll call:
Sally Bitan, Kelly Fernald, Steve Hendry (via phone), John Henson, Bill McMahon
Non-Committee members present:
Ellen Planer (Town Clerk), Jay Reynolds, Bonny Rodden
Item 1 Approval of Last Meeting's Minutes--All
- The meetings from the February 9, 2009 meeting were accepted.
Item 2 Swearing in of Members--Ellen Planer
- Ellen Planer (Town Clerk) swore in committee members for terms beginning January 1, 2009.
Bill McMahon and John Henson -- 1 year term
Kelly Fernald -- 2 year term
Sally Bitan -- 3 year term
- To be sworn in at a later date: Satoria Pelton (2 year term), Steve Hendry (3 year term)
Item 3 Update on Town Council--Bonny and Jay
- The budget was not changed for silver bullet locations or collections.
- The focus will be on introducing and/or increasing fees for waste that the town incurs a cost to dispose. For items which the town does not currently collect a fee the proposed fee was 50% of Portland's fee for the same item.
- The committee voted on, and approved the fee schedule presented by Jay, with one change suggested. The committee recommends that the Town does not charge a fee for disposal of compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs).
- The committee voted on, and approved a recommendation to increase the fee for bulky items from $6.00 to $8.00.
Item 4 Update on Regionalization--Jay and Bonny
- The RFP for the regionalization of trash and recycling collection has been sent out.
- The bids for the work will be opened on April 1, 2009.
- The RFP includes the options for weekly and bi-weekly curbside collection of recyclables.
Item 5 Review Mission of Committee--Steve
- Steve reiterated the mission statement and reminded the committee to use it to guide our work.
- Jay agreed to post the mission statement on the Recycling Committee website.
- A suggestion was made to print the mission statement and hang it in the Public Works conference room where we meet.
Item 6 Other Business--All
- Jay agreed to update the list of committee members posted on the Recycling Committee website.
- The Town Council would like an update from each committee at its meeting on March 23. We were unable to confirm Steve's availability because the phone was disconnected.
- Bill will contact Missy at ecoMaine and ask that all Recycling Committee members receive the recycling reports. Bill will also ask Missy about hosting a meeting of Recycling Committees from member communities.
Item 7 The remainder of the agenda was tabled until the April meeting.
Item 8 Next Meeting Date
- The next meeting will be Wednesday, April 15, 2009 (moved from April 8 due to Passover) at 4:00 PM at Parks & Public Works.
Item 9 Adjournment
- The meeting was adjourned at 5:07 PM.
Secretary, Falmouth Recycling Committee