Skip Navigation
This table is used for column layout.
Welcome to the website for the town of Falmouth, Maine
Link for ResidentsLink for BusinessesLink for Online Services
Department Links

Town of Falmouth, Maine
271 Falmouth Road
Falmouth, ME 04105
(207) 781-5253

Public Works Department FAQ's
How can my family reduce our waste?
When shopping for food and other household essentials, consider the waste your purchases will generate. Buy products in bulk or in refillable containers. Buy products in containers that are returnable or recyclable. Reuse grocery bags or carry your own shopping bag(s). Share newspapers and magazines with neighbors and friends.

What about grass clippings and leaves?
Participate in the Spring and Fall Leaf Collection Program. Leaf bags will be made available at no charge at the Public Works Office. Collection of the leaf bags will be scheduled during the spring and fall season; call Public Works at 781-3919.
Compost food scraps, grass clippings, yard and garden wastes in your back yard. Food waste increases your waste disposal costs, can adversely impact septic systems and places an unnecessary burden on our wastewater treatment system. Compost makes an excellent soil conditioner for lawn and garden. For more information, contact the Cumberland County Cooperative Extension at USM, 780-4205, 15 Chamberlain St., Portland, ME 04103.

How do I dispose of computers, TV's, and cell phones?
It is illegal to throw away TV's and computer monitors because they contain hazardous material. Take computers, components, TV's and cell phones to the Transfer Station.  

What do I do with Compact Florescent light bulbs?

CFC bulbs contain mercury, as do long florescent bulbs and certain thermometers. Take items containing mercury to the Transfer Station. Fees may apply.

Where do I take my paint?

Take oil-based paint to the Transfer Station. Cans of dried or latex paint can be disposed of in the yellow trash bags.

What do I do with batteries?

Car batteries, rechargeale batteries and buton batteries can be taken to the Transfer Station. Alkaline batteries can be disposed of in the yellow trash bags.

How do I dispose of construction debris?

Take it to Riverside Recycling on Riverside Street in Portland. Contact Riverside Recycling for more info at 797-6200.
Fees apply.


Virtual Towns & Schools Website