Parks and Community Programs Advisory Committee
Meeting Minutes from 2/19/13
The meeting was called to order at 4:05
Present: Lucky Dâ€™Ascanio, Karen Jones, Jeff Mason, Melanie Collins, Daniel Smith
The minutes from December 18, 2012 were read but there was not a quorum so minutes will be approved at the next meeting.
Welcome New Members â€“ Karen Jones
- Karen welcomed new members Melanie Collins and Daniel Smith and Lucky went over the PACPAC binder information and reviewed the Parks & Community Programs Department staff duties, etc.
Update on School Complex â€“ Lucky Dâ€™Ascanio
- Ocean View Purchase and Sales agreement for the Lunt School and Plummer School will be signed on February 27th. Lucky is working with OV on a lease agreement that will allow FCP to use the Plummer portion of the building through the end of August for summer programming. The town still owns the Mason/Motz wing.
- Future use of both Plummer and the Mason/Motz schools is still undecided.
Parks Division Report â€“ Jeff Mason
- Jeff reported that winter had been mild until February where they have been busy with at least one storm per week.
- Huston skating rink had the best season in a long time and Village rink continues with itsâ€™ trials and tribulations but the rink was â€śskatableâ€ť for more days than in recent past. Jeff offered a brief explanation of ice maintenance and how weather and location play a large roll especially at the Village location nearer to the ocean. Village rink is used primarily for â€śshot-on-goalâ€ť skating as the heaving of the base does not allow water and therefore ice to form evenly (shallow in many places and water leaks out before freezing).
FCP Update â€“ Lucky Dâ€™Ascanio
- FCP took delivery of a new 2013 15-passenger bus replacing the older one which experienced a lot of maintenance issues. Bus was purchased from Oâ€™Connor GMC and can be serviced on Warren Avenue in Portland.
- Busy putting the Spring and Summer brochure together. FCP did a day camp survey of households with children through ActiveNet and as a result, will be lengthening the camp day by one hour total (1/2 in the morning and Â˝ hour in the afternoon. This will not impact expenses as staff is already in place for the Before and After Care programs but will allow more flexibility for parents.
- Denise is busy putting together another exciting summer concert series.
- Pine Grove tree work is currently going on and the logging is being done by a local logger using cattle.
- Local law enforcement will be doing patrols of Community Park and other parks as a result of more issues with â€śrogueâ€ť dog walkers that do not follow town ordinance and pick up dog waste and dispose OFF PARK property. The porta-potty at Community Park needed to be locked as dog owners were putting dog waste in the porta-potty which cannot be pumped out.
- Lucky will send out copy of last years work plan for review and updating at the next meeting.
Next meeting will be on Tuesday, March 19, 2013 at 4:00pm