Parks and Community Programs Advisory Committee
Meeting Minutes from 3/15/11
The meeting was called to order at 4:00
Present: Judy Currier , Lucky Dâ€™Ascanio, Janet Dye, Karen Jones, Pat Kirby, Jeff Mason, Marylou Murphy, Bonnie Troubh, Faith Varney
The minutes from November, 2010 were approved.
Officially welcoming Pat Kirby to Committee.
Parks Division Report â€“ Jeff Mason
- Had a few complaints about snowmobiles going off trails and on fields. As well as complaints of dogs on trails.
- The Land Management Team is currently reviewing dog ordinance. The Animal Control person will become involved and notices have been and will continue to be left for violators. No dogs are allowed off leash during scheduled events.
- Parks and High School staff worked together maintaining and using grooming equipment for cross country ski trail.
- Legion Fields â€“ the Falmouth LL is working on dugouts.
FCP Update â€“ Lucky Dâ€™Ascanio
- Heidi is working on school pay-to-play issues and activity fees.
- Spring/Summer Brochure is being finalized and will be out in early April.
- New fitness programs for adults to be included in brochure.
- New adult trips.
- 4 Mile Fun Run to raise money for scholarships is planned for Memorial Day weekend.
- Working with Falmouth Land Trust on a conservation tour. Also on June 24 & 25 will be a â€śBioBlitz.â€ť Volunteers will document observations, with help from experts, in areas that are part of the Falmouth Land Trust.
- Kate is representing the Community Programs on the Fare Well to Plummer-Motz and Lunt Committee. A large celebration is being planned for early June.
- The Land Management Team is meeting every 2 weeks and reviewing many ordinances.
Community Facilities Project â€“ Judy Currier
- There is more information on the website with a proposed timeline. Another meeting will be held on March 28th. Below are Judithâ€™s notes from the March 14, 2011 Town Council Special Meeting:
Item 6 Discussion of proposed June 2011 referendum question and project schedule regarding the renovation of the Plummer-Motz and Lunt School complex into a community recreation center, rental space and town library.
A suggestion was made tonight that the library and community recreation center vote be separate; in other words, divide the question and the funding on the ballot. The thinking is that, while many are in favor of a community center, others may not want the library to move.
Several councilors felt that these two items should not be divided; that the work done during the past years by the Facilities Planning Group and the Council has been toward making this complex into a town center which would include a library, community center and some leasable space.
I would urge PACPAC members to attend the public hearing on March 28. â€“ Judith Currier
- Karen Jones reviewed PACPAC work plan.
Next meeting scheduled for April 12, 2011