Parks and Community Programs Advisory Committee
Meeting Minutes from 5/18/10
The meeting was called to order at 4:00
Present: Janet Dye, Matt Gilbert, Karen Jones, Dominic Sette-Ducati, Bonnie Troubh, Faith Varney
The minutes from April 13, 2010 were approved without changes.
Parks Division Report â€“ Matt Gilbert for Jeff Mason
- Parks are up and running with playing fields open. The tennis court lights are on however are being monitored. Because of construction, the electricity keeps getting turned off which disrupts the light timers.
- In preparation of Memorial Day, work on cemeteries and 5 monuments is progressing.
- Fields have been fertilized and should grow over next few weeks.
- Pine Grove Park has many trees down and will continue to be a work in progress.
- Fencing at the Gazebo at Village Park is completed.
- The Town Landing Beach has been raked.
- The ramp and float at Walton Park will be in in the next few weeks.
- Summer help started last week.
FCP Update â€“ Matt Gilbert
- Great spring season for program registration.
- Bike fair had 25 kids attend.
- Spring soccer with two Play Soccer coaches is going well.
- LAX program has 8 team and 200 kids. On June 12th, 20 teams will be participating in a grade 3-4 LAX Tournament.
- The Striders program has 70 kids (the maximum) and is getting positive feedback on highly qualified coaches. They are focusing on safety, fun, instruction and sportsmanship. The league meet on June 2nd will be held at Falmouth Community Park.
- 7 Tennis programs running this spring.
- Summer camps are filling.
- Red Sox trips well attended.
- Fall Soccer program will be run with Play Soccer Coaches pairing with parent volunteers.
- Falmouth 4 miler and Fun Run road race scheduled for May 30th.
- Continued struggle for daytime programming space.
- Ice Rink proposal has not progressed. All agreed that the current outdoor rink would be much more â€śuseableâ€ť with a cover.
- Athletic and extracurricular school fees will be processed through Community Programs and then given to the schools.
Falmouth Parks and Facilities Tour will be scheduled for June 15th from 3-5pm.