Parks and Community Programs Advisory Committee
Meeting Minutes from 4/13/10
The meeting was called to order at 4:00
Present: Lucky Dâ€™Ascanio, Janet Dye, Karen Jones, Jeff Mason, Dominic Sette-Ducati, Steve Tenney, Faith Varney
The minutes from March 16, 2010 were approved without changes.
Parks Division Report â€“ Jeff Mason
Tennis courts are open. Bucknam Courts are due for painting time frame TBA. Falmouth Little League is working on a new batting cage. The baseball fields are not open. Community Park is almost ready. Lacrosse fields will be lined this week and gates open in a week. The school teams will be using these fields until the sod on new fields across from High School is ready. The repair work done on Village Park Gazebo is almost complete. Walton Park canoe launch will be open Memorial Day weekend.
FCP Update â€“ Lucky Dâ€™Ascanio
- The Summer Brochure is out and registrations in office and online are steady.
- In conjunction with the Bike Coalition and Falmouth Trails we are offering a Bike Safety Check on May 15th.
The 4 Miler Race currently has approximately 24 registrants.
In the brochure is also a Maine Robotics Camp with new staff. Numbers for this camp are good. Denise is trying out a new theme page for adult programmingâ€¦ â€śWhere in The World?â€ť
Calls are already coming in for the Red Sox tickets (3 trips planned).
- Included are joint programs with South Portland, Cumberland and Gorham.
- This is the last program brochure that will be printed and mass mailed to Falmouth residents. A post card will be mailed out to residents informing them that they may request a brochure be mailed to them or access the brochure online. Discussion followed and this committee expressed concern about adult/senior programming â€śuser friendliness.â€ť We recommend a reevaluation and comparison of registration numbers for different groups after the Fall. The committee is also interested in talking to residents and getting their feedback.
- Already receiving programming proposals for Fall Brochure.
- A basketball survey went out to parents for feedback on the winter basketball program. The feedback on the program and instruction given was positive. 70% want gender specific teams by 2nd grade. 61% want a longer season.
The Land Management Team is making great strides. The maps and website with links will be up and running soon.
- The Greater Portland Trails received a Mountain Biking Association Trail Building School grant. 12 miles of trail will be built in North Falmouth Community Forest this May.
Community Facilities Planning â€“ Steve Tenney
April 5th the 2nd Town Forum was held and recommendations were presented to approximately 120 attendees. Kathy Breen gave the introduction with Chantel Walker speaking for the Library, Theresa Pierce for the Town Hall, and Steve for the Community Center. In general, recommendations were well received. Polling was incredibly supportive. The follow-up online survey will continue for another week. The Community Facilities Planning Committee will meet to review on May 5th and make a final presentation to the Town Counsel on May 10th.
The Falmouth Parks and Facilities Tour will be scheduled for June 15th from 3 to 5 pm.
The next scheduled meeting is May 18, 2010.