Falmouth Recreation and Community Programs Advisory Committee
March 11, 2008
Present: Lucky Dâ€™Ascanio, Faith Varney, Dianne Moore, Nancy Richards, Jack Davis, Steven Tenney, Brenna Hensley, Skip Varney & Will Armitage
Excused: Karen Jones
The meeting was called to order at 3:59 p.m. and the minutes from February 12, 2008 were approved.
A motion was made to no longer record our meetings as long as we prepare minutes. The recordings have almost never been used and any record that we make has to be maintained for 5 years. Since we have been regularly keeping minutes, the redundancy is unnecessary. Motion carried.
Jack Davis was appointed secretary.
-Skip told us that ski trail grooming is continuing in Community Park. The issue of citizen involvement from several months ago has been resolved.
-The skating facilities are currently down due to the weather.
-There is a new group, the Falmouth Conservation Corps, headed by Bob Shafto, that is gathering information on resources and projects related to our outside facilities. They hope to have a list of volunteers available for assistance with various programs.
Community Programs Update:
-Lucky informs us that the Summer Concert Series is finalized with 5 shows, beginning June 30th and running every other Monday.
-The next brochure is on schedule.
-Summer Day camp will only be 6 weeks this year due to the last school closing.
-The â€śKids Yard Saleâ€ť is progressing and looking forward to contributing funds to more outside programs for kids.
-Faith reported on the meeting that she had with this group. They are trying to formalize the relationship between the various Town committees and the Council. There is currently no process for reporting to the Council by the various committees. There is a need for mission statements and goals which have been lacking. The appointment process needs to be cleared up and all terms running on a consistent calendar year basis. An attendance requirement has been established. Council liaisons will be making regular (at least quarterly) contact with their committees. There will be consideration of consolidating committees that are currently overlapping in their duties. The committee would like a copy of the meeting report.
Faith, Lucky and Skip will be meeting with Nathan Poore to review our committeeâ€™s function.
We have been frustrated since the Parks Dept was merged with Public Works and we are not as involved as we have previously been with Park activities. We will continue to discuss the issue of our purpose at our next meeting.
We discussed a plan to move our regular meetings to the 3rd Tuesday of the month to better accommodate our Council Liaison and Skip. A motion was made and carried. Lucky will check room availability and post the change.
Homework for the committee members is for each of us to write down what we feel the committeeâ€™s function is and should be. (Note from Faith: if I were to have this before my meeting with Nathan it would be very helpful.)
Meeting was adjourned at 5:10.
Next meeting: April 15th